mercredi 14 juin 2017

Cap'n Aux Top 60 Pilot Blog and Airways Magazine, since 1994!

Some of you might know the Aviation magazine Airways. Since its first publication back in 1994, I've been an avid reader, from cover to cover each month. One might even say I've started to understand how aviation works by reading enthusiastically each magazine.


The famous article of HB-IRJ on Airways Mag (September 2017)

Inaugural issue back in 1994!
So yes, you might still be able to get an issue of this wonderful article written by Eric Auxier. 5 pages of pictures and a sense of writing few people have.
Eric has put into his latest "There I Wuz IV" book the entire article written for Airways as well as some articles I did about flying the DC-3 and also how to become an Airline Pilot in Europe, my personal story of all the struggles back in 2001-2007 when the Airlines were furloughing more people each month.

So yes, that was an epic flight to Aurora. I was so happy to have Eric on board and leaving a dream of mine, to be part of an article in that famous magazine, the one that made me realise how much I'd love Aviation. You can also follow this part of the flight on Eric's blog.

Thank you Eric, thank you Enrique Perrella and your Team who took over Airways Magazine a couple of years ago and made it even more AvGeek (was it possible??!).

Paul Bazeley, Eric Auxier and I on the way

Flying towards Mount St-Helens

Across the Columbia River to overhead PDX (Portland International)

Banking towards downwind in Aurora (credit to Eric Auxier for the pic!)

Of this particular part of our flight to Aurora, I'll let you have a look at Eric own blog also, you can enjoy part 2 and part 3 with many pictures and videos! No wonder Eric's blog has been awarded a medal in the Top 60 Pilot Blog, this is just awesome, congrats Cap'n Aux!

Upon landing (and finally greasing it, unlike the previous one in Olympia where I could log 3 landings...), it was time to say goodbye to HB-IRJ and drive towards Portland so that Eric could catch a flight to Phoenix. I was also due for an early morning flight back to Geneva, Switzerland, eager to see my girlfriend Marie and work a bit. Yes, I need to work sometimes, and it is always pure joy to be back on an Airbus A320 cockpit. The muscle work isn't the same but in contrary to what people would think, the flying part and skills required to manage the flight path of the airplane is exactly the same. Just like it was 77 years ago (albeit with some help from the Flight Management Systems who suggest the best path to follow!)

Downwind runway 35 at Aurora

Mighty warbirds and DC-3

Getting unpacked to drive to PDX

Soon back home!


I'll be back on track with the Douglas DC-3, HB-IRJ, in full Breitling colours from August 2017 joining the Team in New York. In the meantime, our beloved aircraft has some maintenance work to be done on her and my fellow colleagues will take her across the USA to several spots, including Oshkosh, Wisconsin, THE Aviation meeting in the World.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire